Redlands (5 points)

    I was really excited to read Redlands because I heard good things about it from my illustration professor. There is a lot to like in the artistic side of the comics, but I really did not like the actual writing that much. It didn’t really help that the subject matter did not match my tastes at all. Yes, I can stand sex and the stuff that comes with it, but I don’t really feel comfortable delving into underage sex work and actual graphic sex scenes. I can get that Redlands was using it to push the taboo themes of witches, but I feel like the more extreme examples were meant to be there for shock value with little to no payoff for it. That may be because there were only 5 issues of the comic available, but I think it went a little too far with the descriptions of Nancy’s diary entries about being sold to the sex trade. 

    I know a big part of witch stories are about embracing the taboo as a way defying social norms and encouraging self-empowerment for women, and it definitely shows. Bridget, Alice, and Jo seem to be close from what little bits I can gather, and they are all treated with respect and reverence from everyone else that they come in contact with that aren’t malicious toward them. They have a lot of sexual agency as well, even outside of their coven. I found it cute how Jo and Alice treat Bridget and Laurent’s relationship like highschoolers, fiercely defending Bridget and protecting her yet unable to stop the relationship from happening. It is really unique to see a series that seems to tap into women’s power fantasies, especially in comics. 

    On a different note, I can understand why my illustration professor likes this series so much. The inking in these issues is so rich and dark, matches the mysterious and insidious tone well. Each member of the coven have distinct body types as well, which is more of an anomaly in comic series with this kind of realistic style than it should be which is really refreshing. Overall, extremely not for me, but I can understand why it could be for others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein : The Modern Prometheus (6 points)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (4 points)