Nimona (? points)

    Nimona had been on my “to read” list for an embarrassingly long time, and I am extremely happy that this class gave me an excuse to finally read it because it was an immense joy to read. I have been following Noelle Stevenson for a while on her socials and am a fan of the work she has been doing with She-Ra in terms introducing more queer representation into animated shows. Reading Nimona felt like I was transported back into 2015, when Adventure Time and Gravity Falls were the most influential shows of my tweenage self. It’s short length left a big mark on me, like a hug from a friend you don’t know if you’ll ever see again.

    Even in publishing her book, in 2015 no less, Noelle Stevenson’s push for queer literature is there. She knows what a good enemies to lovers arc looks like and isn’t afraid to make it such a prominent part of her story. Now of course this is Harper Collins in 2015, so nothing explicit is shown, but the hints of love between Blackheart and Goldenloin is very much there and very much important. This is less analytical than some of my other writings on here but I really don’t care because I swear to God Stevenson wrote this book just for me. It has everything I could ever want in a book. Nimona has a plucky young girl with an atypical hair style, the edgy intense evil man with a heart of gold (a guilty pleasure), modern fantasy, queer undertones, and a bittersweet tragic ending! I literally could not ask for anything more. Plus the themes of overthrowing a corrupt ruling force are especially relevant right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein : The Modern Prometheus (6 points)

An Unkindness of Ghosts (5 points)