Six of Crows (5 points)

    Leigh Bardugo is the closest author I can say that I am an active fan of. I read the Six of Crows duology back when it first came out, and I am really fascinated by her other book The Language of Thorns. When I was younger, it was because of the cover art more than the actual text of the book. This week was definitely a break for me, so I wanted to revisit a childhood favorite, and it was honestly better the second time.

    When I would try to convince my friends to read the book, I would always say that it was a fantasy heist book with teenagers who honestly are more mature than they should actually be. After re-reading it, I am honestly dumbfounded how Bardugo managed to write a mystery novel under the guise of a heist plot. I have a novice appreciation of story structure and have always loved how mystery novels are written. Going back through the book made me realize that the group of six deplorable teenagers could have been doing anything and the core purpose of the story would still stay the same. The real core question is not whether they could pull off the heist but how the hell did these teenagers become the way they did. Such a large part of the book is dedicated to telling everyone’s backstories, barring Wylan who’s backstory is one of the big reveals at the end. In re-reading, I could point out parts in the early story that were allusions to bigger character revelations earlier.

    I have also mentioned before that I have an unapologetic soft spot for just the most deplorable jerkwads, so I fell practically head over heels for Kaz. To add on top of that, I also have a secondary soft spot for stoic girls that can murder me before I even know what’s coming, so I was practically screaming in love with Inej. Their will they won’t they b-plot was basically tailored exactly for me and I loved every second of their stupid mutual pining teenage romance. On one hand, I wanted good things for Kaz because he deserves at least something, but I felt more for Inej because she deserves to have her freedom and to not be caught up in gang b.s. The scene on the ship ride back was such a good culmination of their tension, with a bittersweet resolution that really made me realize that they are still just kids, despite everything.

    Also, the chapter of Inej climbing the chimney was such a good piece of literature that resonated with me so much. Currently I feel pretty aimless with what I want to do with myself after college, so seeing Inej go through her own small rebirth in that chute was very cathartic to me. It reminded me that there will be answers when I most need one and to just keep climbing until I get there. Really, the fiery passion for the future that all of the teens have in this book is something I relate to and cherish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein : The Modern Prometheus (6 points)

An Unkindness of Ghosts (5 points)